Featurific Support
Featurific Caused Server Overload - Printable Version

+- Featurific Support (http://featurific.com/support)
+-- Forum: General Support (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: Bug Reports (/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: Featurific Caused Server Overload (/thread-73.html)

Featurific Caused Server Overload - Kevin - 04-25-2009 01:03 AM

First of all, I love this plugin! However, I was forced to disable it after my hosting service shut my site down. I was using the latest version of Featurific (which I believe is when the problems started) on Wordpress 2.7.1. Apparently, the plugin was causing an overload on the database and CPU. I narrowed it down to Featurific by disabling all other plugins. Once Featurific was enable, the server resources spiked. Unfortunately, I don't have any specific errors to report other than the SQL query that was happening when the server overloaded:

SELECT wp_posts.ID, wp_posts.post_title FROM wp_posts LEFT JOIN wp_pageviews ON wp_posts.ID = wp_pa

Hopefully this can be fix, cuz I LOVE this plugin! Thanks!

RE: Featurific Caused Server Overload - rinogo - 04-30-2009 03:45 AM

Hi Kevin,

Sorry to hear that you're having problems with Featurific. Can you tell me how many posts you have on your Wordpress installation?

-Rich

RE: Featurific Caused Server Overload - Kevin - 04-30-2009 04:03 AM

thanks for the reply! To answer your question, I have approx. 2,200 posts on my installation. I've recently tried various settings in Featurific, such as the database vs. file setting and plugging in my own article numbers vs. having it return the most popular. All of them cause my hosting's servers to crash. Once I disable the plugin, server stability is fine. I'm halfway tempted to set up my own test server so I can try to replicate the problem and see what's going on. Any suggestions on what could be causing this would be great... thanks!

(04-30-2009 03:45 AM)rinogo Wrote:  Hi Kevin,

Sorry to hear that you're having problems with Featurific. Can you tell me how many posts you have on your Wordpress installation?

-Rich

RE: Featurific Caused Server Overload - rinogo - 05-06-2009 03:28 AM

Hi again Kevin,

We've have noticed some performance issues related to using Featurific on a site with a large number of posts. An SQL 'left join' is known to be a performance bottleneck, but even for 2,200 rows, it shouldn't be causing this much of a problem. However, until we can figure out what the problem is, there seems to be a workaround. Please read the following post, experiment a bit, and let me know if it works for you.

http://featurific.com/support/thread-68-post-222.html#pid222

Talk to you soon,
-Rich

RE: Featurific Caused Server Overload - Kevin - 05-08-2009 11:00 PM

Thanks Rich, I'll give this a try!

RE: Featurific Caused Server Overload - rinogo - 06-16-2009 11:02 AM

Kevin,

Did the workaround help?

-Rich

RE: Featurific Caused Server Overload - Kevin - 06-20-2009 05:46 AM

No, actually it didn't and I've had to give up working on this and just not use the plugin. Whenever I simply enable the plugin, it crashes my hosts' server and they shut my site down. So until I can get a test server to play with, I won't be able to use this plugin. thanks though!

(06-16-2009 11:02 AM)rinogo Wrote:  Kevin,

Did the workaround help?

-Rich

RE: Featurific Caused Server Overload - rinogo - 06-23-2009 05:54 AM

I understand, Kevin. When you'd like to look into it again, let me know. Smile

Happy blogging!
-Rich

RE: Featurific Caused Server Overload - rinogo - 06-23-2009 08:39 AM

Kevin,

Just one last thought - I'm trying to fix this issue, but I need a bit more info. Can you post a link to your website so I can investigate? And just to make sure I understand what you've tried, you did try changing "'numberposts' => FEATURIFIC_MAX_INT," to "'numberposts' => 500," (etc) as described in the other post I linked to, correct? And Featurific still causes the overload? Or, it just doesn't work?

Thanks! Smile
-Rich