Thread Rating:
  • 248 Votes - 2.82 Average
WordpressMU
02-25-2010, 06:28 AM (This post was last modified: 02-25-2010 06:53 AM by rmiddleton.)
WordpressMU
This plugin could make my day, week, month, but most importantly our teachers happy. So close to working, but...
Hope this is the information you need to point me in the right direction.
And thank you, in advance, for I know what will be the right answer.

Tried a variety of theme and plugin combinations.
These notes are with all plugins inactive except Featurific for Wordpress.
This is a WordpressMU new install and "home" theme.

Manage Plugins

All (33) |Active (1) |Recently Active (21) |Inactive (32) |Upgrade Available (4) Bulk Actions Deactivate

Plugin Description
Plugin Description

As I change themes I can see the space change, but no picture or frame/format is ever displayed.

No data.xml file is created in: /srv/www/htdocs/wordpressmu/wp-content/plugins/featurific-for-wordpress #
(or anywhere else I can find)(even tried full rights 777 to no avail)

No changes are observed in themes/home/ index.php or home.php
Adding the static page code made no difference.
<?php
if(function_exists(‘insert_featurific’)) //If the Featurific plugin is activated…
insert_featurific(); //Insert the HTML code to embed Featurific
?>
Five posts, all with .jpg and yet Image_Cache Database is empty:
MySQL returned an empty result set (i.e. zero rows). ( Query took 0.0004 sec )
SELECT *
FROM `wp_7_featurific_image_cache`
LIMIT 0 , 30

Plugin installed to:
/srv/www/htdocs/wordpressmu/wp-content/plugins/featurific-for-wordpress

Blog site at:
/srv/www/htdocs/wordpressmu/wp-content/blogs.dir/9/files

My test site: (may not be accessible from outside the firewall but I have no way to test that until I get home)

http://videoserver.msdpt.k12.in.us/wordp...eosupport/

Domain root:
http://videoserver.msdpt.k12.in.us/

WordPressMU root:
http://videoserver.msdpt.k12.in.us/wordpressmu/
At the risk of talking to myself...
I have discovered that if I activate on the main site, it is active for all sites. i.e. puts the main site (root) posts on all blogs.
Apparently not MU aware at this point.
So the question becomes: How do I make it read ONLY the individual blog site?
example of site map:
./wpmu (root)
./wpmu/mine
./wpmu/hers
./wpmu/his

Attached File(s)
.htm  plug-feat-formated.htm (Size: 48.91 KB / Downloads: 264)
.htm  plug-feat-source.htm (Size: 5.66 KB / Downloads: 400)
Find all posts by this user
02-26-2010, 10:33 AM
RE: WordpressMU
Hi there, rmiddleton!

Thanks for your visit, and for your question. I hope we can get Featurific working well for you.

Wordpress MU is a tricky beast because it's so powerful that there are a number of use cases for Featurific. For example, some of our users want each instance to have its own Featurific, while others want all instances' posts to appear in the main blog. (you can imagine there are many other possibilities)

As you've already observed, Featurific in its current incarnation is not MU aware. However, we have done some work with MU for clients in the past. We might be able to work something out for you. Can you please describe in detail exactly how you wish Featurific to behave in your MU installation?

Looking forward to your response! Have a great day,
-Rich
02-26-2010, 10:47 PM
I would like each blog to use it's own art/posts. We are a k-12 school district with 18 buildings, each with multiple departments and approximately 1700 teachers overall. I would envision each building, each department, and each teacher with a blog and the "features" would be tied to the individual blog. Building A doesn't want to see posts from building B, etc.
I now have it on my main test page and love it!
02-27-2010, 09:05 AM
Hi again!

I'm happy to hear that you're enjoying Featurific so far. With regard to MU support, I do believe that Featurific supports the kind of functionality you describe. In other words, I believe you can install Featurific in any number of blogs in a Wordpress MU setup, and each blog will have its own private working copy of Featurific. Perhaps you can try this on a few sites to see what happens.

Please let me know what you find,
-Rich
03-12-2010, 05:21 AM
Nope, didn't work.
I put a blog here with a posting in "Buildings" category. http://videoserver.msdpt.k12.in.us/wordpressmu/
Then I put a blog here with a different post for "English" category. http://videoserver.msdpt.k12.in.us/wordp...hool/news/
The latter displays the former's post / picture.
The User Specific posts doesn't seem to work either, but then, I have no real way of knowing the user "number" anyway.
03-12-2010, 07:24 AM (This post was last modified: 03-12-2010 07:29 AM by rinogo.)
Hi rmiddleton,

Hmm...I do see how the galleries are identical. However, there a bit of hope:

By inspecting the source of the two pages in Firebug, we see that:
-the Perry Township page (the main blog?) has a Featurific instance that references the following XML: xml_location=/wordpressmu/wp-content/plugins/featurific-for-wordpress/data_xml.php
-the SES page has a Featurific instance that references the following XML: xml_location=/wordpressmu/sampleschool/wp-content/plugins/featurific-for-wordpress/data_xml.php

Note that the SES page is accessing the data_xml.php file that is located in a subdirectory of the sampleschool directory. I'm not entirely clear on how you're configuring Featurific to select the posts. Some ideas:
If you're not already (you may be), try using the category filter to configure a category from which Featurific will draw posts. You could, for example, create a category for each blog. Then, configure each Featurific instance to select from this category.

Try using the User-Specified posts option. Try random low numbers (1-10 or so) and see if you can get the Featurific instances to differ. If you can, then we've made some progress.

At this point, we really just need to try to get the two instances to differ in some way. From there, we can hopefully figure out how to configure the Featurific instances appropriately.

Good luck, and let me know what you find. Have a great day!
-Rich
03-12-2010, 10:14 PM
Well, yes, I have tried both. Too long to include all the details, but...

MSDPT:
Post Selection: Most recent posts
User-specified posts: "1"
Category Filter: District Highlights (1)Featured

SES:
Post Selection: Most recent posts
User-specified posts: "2"
Category Filter: English (1)

Currently I only have 3 users setup. Plan is for 18 buildings and up to 700 teachers.

admin webmaster@msdpt.k12.in.us 2010-03-02 3:13 pm videoserver.msdpt.k12.in.us/wordpressmu/

sampleschool rmiddleton@msdpt.k12.in.us 2010-03-03 6:11 pm videoserver.msdpt.k12.in.us/wordpressmu/sampleschool/

staffd dbagwell@msdpt.k12.in.us 2010-03-05 1:32 pm videoserver.msdpt.k12.in.us/wordpressmu/staffd/
03-16-2010, 06:19 AM
Hi again, rmiddleton!

I decided I would try to duplicate your setup to see if I could figure out what the problem was, and I found more good news.

The default setup of Featurific seems to do exactly what you're trying to do - perhaps there's some other plugin that's interfering?

Here's what I did:
1) Installed WP MU, latest version.
2) Created three blogs: test1, test2, and test3.
3) Edited the "Hello World" post on each of the new blogs so I could distinguish between them (appended 'TEST1', 'TEST2', and 'TEST3' to the titles, respectively)
4) Installed featurific into wp-content/plugins
5) Activated featurific on all three blogs.
6) Accessing the data.xml created by Featurific on all three blogs shows that by default only the post from that particular blog appears in Featurific. In other words:

http://127.0.0.1/wpmu2/test1/wp-content/...ta_xml.php contains a <screen/> section for a post titled 'Hello World!TEST1'
http://127.0.0.1/wpmu2/test2/wp-content/...ta_xml.php contains a <screen/> section for a post titled 'Hello World!TEST2'
http://127.0.0.1/wpmu2/test3/wp-content/...ta_xml.php contains a <screen/> section for a post titled 'Hello World!TEST3'

Is this the same workflow you followed? Perhaps there's some other plugin interfering. ?
-Rich
03-16-2010, 09:58 PM
Almost. I believe I created the blogs before I installed Featurific.
I deactivated all plugins except Featurific in the second blog. It is still pulling the first blog's posts.
Perhaps I should uninstall and reinstall Featurific.
May have a thought. I found data_xml.php. According to the documentation there, it is used if the plugins directory cannot be written to. What rights / user-rights are needed in /plugins?
Example of current settings:
htdocs/wordpressmu/wp-content/plugins/featurific-for-wordpress # dir
total 668
-rw-r--r-- 1 wwwrun www 25046 Mar 2 11:01 FeaturificFree.swf
-rw-r--r-- 1 wwwrun www 7638 Mar 2 11:01 LGPL.txt
-rw-r--r-- 1 wwwrun www 2148 Mar 2 11:01 cached_image.php
-rw-r--r-- 1 wwwrun www 1713 Mar 2 11:01 data_xml.php
-rw-r--r-- 1 wwwrun www 7223 Mar 2 11:01 featurific.js
-rw-r--r-- 1 wwwrun www 119314 Mar 2 11:01 featurific.php
-rw-r--r-- 1 wwwrun www 4551 Mar 2 11:01 featurific_db.php
03-17-2010, 01:44 AM
Hi Randy!

We'll get this figured out eventually! Smile

Having permissions set appropriately surely makes things easier with Featurific (e.g. upgrading the template library, as you've noticed, is much easier if the permissions are set right). Essentially, the web server just needs access to any location that you want Featurific to be able to modify. For example, if you want Featurific to be able to auto-insert itself into your template, the web server needs r/w access to the template files (and 'x' access to the directory so it can perform a directory listing).

With that said, having permissions set appropriately is definitely not a requirement for Featurific to work. I actually think it may be an issue with the settings that have been applied to Featurific. I've verified that the default installs work as expected, but I haven't done any work with being more specific with settings, so perhaps that causes issues.

I would try the following:

Create a new blog. Install Featurific with the default settings (don't change anything). Load up the blog and see what happens!

Another option would be to uninstall Featurific from all blogs in your system, *and* remove all database entries in the wp-options table that begin with 'featurific_' (See http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&clien...aql=&oq=). Then, reinstall Featurific with default options and see if it works as expected.

Hope this helps, Randy!
-Rich