Thread Rating:
  • 339 Votes - 2.91 Average
Template not changing
06-14-2009, 06:50 PM
Template not changing
I am using WP2.8 with Featurific V1.5.6.

When I change the template via Settings>Featurific, click Update Options, screen refreshes, says Options Saved but does not show any of the previous options amd will not change the template.

Even after clearing cache (WP Super Cache) and F5 on browser (Flock), the template is not changed.

How to manually select a template?
Find all posts by this user
06-15-2009, 06:30 PM
RE: Template not changing
Out of all the hours I have spent playing with plugins, I think this is the first that has got me beat, I have spent more hours on this than all the other combined, I just can't get it to work, despite seeing it working on other sites.

I have invested too many hours trying to debug issues in WP2.7.1, then upgraded to WP2.8 and different issues, then upgrade Featurific to 1.5.6. It just seems to unstable . . what happens when WP or this is updated again, just seems like more work.

I am left with no choice but to shelf this and will be very reluctant to come back to it and certainly could not recommend it.
Would be interested though if owner can support this.
06-16-2009, 03:20 AM
i use featurific since 2.7 and it made all upgrades till now, without problem. did you follow the part where it asks you to make the folders writable? after activating?
06-16-2009, 04:21 AM
Hi Simon,

I apologize if Featurific has caused you undue frustration. We have indeed tested Featurific 1.5.6 with Wordpress 2.8, and found no issues. We understand your frustration with getting Featurific to work more than anyone else - with thousands of plugins out there and multiple versions of Wordpress supported, it's understandably hard to make one plugin that will work flawlessly in every configuration.

Nevertheless, we try to resolve every issue that comes up on our radar. I'd be happy to personally offer you my help.

When you submit the changes in options on the settings screen, none of your new selections/options remain selected, correct? In other words, if you change the post selection type, when you submit the form, the old post selection type remains, correct? That would be very strange, indeed.

If this is the case and you feel comfortable with the idea, I'd be happy to investigate further on your particular installation. Please change your admin password to something else temporarily (e.g. 'TempPassword123'), and send it to me via a Private Message. I'll take a look at it and try to determine what the problem is. Then, of course, when I'm done, you can change your password back to the original.

If this isn't an option, I'll try to talk you through some debugging ideas to try to figure out what is going on.

Thanks, and have a great day! Smile
-Rich
06-16-2009, 06:59 AM
Hi Rich,

Thanks for the reply.

When changes are submitted and Options Saved appears, then ALL options are not displayed on the screen.
At this time, clearing cache, refreshing etc, shows that the changes had not been saved, for example, I still have not chosen a template as I can only now get one to work.
I will send you a PM with an admin name and PW.
Currently it's disabled, but once enabled will be visible at the top of the site under the logo.
06-16-2009, 09:51 AM
Hi Simon,

I've done some investigation - the reason why you're having problems seems to be due to your web server (are you using shared hosting?) running out of memory. During generation of the data.xml file, the server is busy processing the posts; preparing them for inclusion in the slideshow. Specifically, Featurific is busy loading up images referenced by your posts. Your blog uses a large amount of images for each post which put a heavy load on your web server. Eventually, this 'load' became too great and the process handling the request ran out of memory.

I changed the code in your installed version of Featurific so that it only processes one image per post, and everything seems to be working much better. Smile

Thanks for using Featurific, and happy blogging!
-Rich

P.S. The 'i.am' domain service you're using conflicts with the Javascript Featurific to insert itself. This is caused by the following i.am-generated line:

document.domain = 'i.am';

I'm not sure why the i.am service has to change the document domain, but it does. This causes errors to occur when Featurific is embedded within the page. However, fortunately, it seems these errors do not prevent Featurific from showing up.
06-16-2009, 03:55 PM
Hi Rich,

Thanks again, I did see you hard at it last night, you might have already seen the thank you post too.

Yes,I am on a shared host.
The i.am domain service is no biggy, just something I am trying out to skip having to post the full URL to the blog.

I shall now starting shouting USE FEATURIFIC!!!!!

Thanks so much again................ officially the best support for open source plugin ever!!
06-17-2009, 01:09 AM
Hi Simon,

I'm glad it's working well for you, and thank you for your kind words. Smile

Happy blogging!

-Rich

P.S. I noticed that the 'thank you' post can't be found when accessed through Featurific. I think the problem is that you need to enter a title for the post in order for the 'pretty URL' functionality of Wordpress to work. Cheers!
06-17-2009, 06:37 AM
Hi Rich,

I noticed that too, regarding the thank you post, and your right, I had not saved the the file name and such it was given a generic one, all changed now.
Next job, customise the default images when no images can be read from a post.

Thanks again.

Simon
06-20-2009, 03:14 AM
I had the same issue, but found a temp solution. When i disable Viper Video Quicktags plugin it updates just fine. Then I re-enable Vipers plugin and it is back to not working. I only noticed it this AM when I upgraded the Viper plugin. So i am enabling and disabling Viper Tags as i do updates.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  incorrect path in featurific template Guest 1 2,761 04-01-2009 08:30 AM
Last Post: rinogo